A few questions about UI strings

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 11:35:02 UTC 2009

On Saturday 11 April 2009 08:03:52 pm Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 11.04.09 18:57:05, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > while translating, I found somme issues, I was unsure about.
> >
> > ====
> > kdevelop/languages/cpp/quickopen.cpp
> > "This file imports the current open document<br/>"

(From a lurker) No, a file cannot import anything.  I think maybe two
things are needed--a (possibly longer) clear (English) sentence that
describes exactly what the command does (because surely it is a command
that does something, and not a file), and then maybe a better / more
exact / correct short English phrase that will be used in the English
version of the program and which the translator can translate
accurately to his own language.

Since I'm not even a user of kdevelop at this time, I can only guess
about that (longer) clear (English) sentence, but, I will:

"This command imports / includes a file (specified after this command is
selected) into the current open document (at the location of the
cursor).

or possibly, it's the other way around--nah, seems pretty unlikely:

"This command imports / includes the current open document into a file
specified after this command is selected."

The short English phrase might then be (assuming the first case, above):

Import a file into the current (or open) document.

or maybe even just:

Import a file.

Sorry if I'm totally confused or adding to the confusion.

Randy Kramer

> > What does this mean? A file can import something?
> > Is there ony one open Document? Does it import all open documents
> > or only the active one?
>
> I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think this talks about #include
> for C++ files. The resulting output is used in a navigation view,
> telling the user something about the file he currently looks at. In
> this particular case, the code tries to support singular and plural
> forms, so in case the file that the user currently works in is used
> only by one other file in the project, the text you mentioned will be
> used. Else the other part will be used. So instead of "imports" one
> could also say "include's" in the C++ sense of #include <>.

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.