Metric presentation

M Breugelmans mbr.nxi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 07:32:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 14.09.08 21:09:18, Manuel Breugelmans wrote:
>> On Friday 12 September 2008 16:20:03 you wrote:
>> >
>> > What do you guys think? Currently I'm leaning towards option 3 but not
>> > firmly ...
>>
>> No opinion on this, anyone? I'll probably go for a pop-up report then.
>
> I thought you hate those popups :) Anyway, I guess it would help if you
> could explain a bit what exactly those metrics are for and what you want
> to present in the widget.

Well they allow you to reason on a high level about a software system.
For now there's only SLOC (source lines of code) grabbed from a perl
script and McCabe complexity implemented with our c++ parser. The
second one counts independent paths in the control flow graph of a
function. Obviously the more paths, the more complex ie lower quality.

For example I ran this McCabe metric on the Linux kernel which showed
that 4% of the code is over the acceptable threshold (10 paths). Qt4
on the other hand has significantly lower quality with 8% being
unreadable. The offenders are prime refactor opportunities.

So what does this widget have to show? For now some kind of table or
tree with the metric source-entity (be it file, class, function) and
the associated value(s),

> If you want to know how to do custom documents/views in the central area
> look at the qt designer plugin.

I'll have a look at that.

Manuel