KDevelop 4.0 Release

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Sep 9 07:41:13 UTC 2008

On 09.09.08 02:43:08, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 9. September 2008 00:51:22 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > something nifty there. Personally I'm using a game from playground every
> > other day, which I only know about because its been blogged about by the
> > author
> That's exactly the point ;) and nobody is going to adapt all that stuff to API
> changes.

Breaking API changes should get more seldom once we get closer to the
release. Currently I expect us to provide KDevelop 4.1 with KDevplatform
2.0, i.e. do a new major version of that because we need to break BC.
However in the long term that will simply not happen anymore.

And quite frankly, if nobody even care's to get that stuff compileable,
then its simply dead code and should be moved to tags/unmaintained/4.

> > Having said that, currently IMHO duchainviewer, teamwork,
> > genericprojectmanger and cvs fall into that category with hg and bzr
> > support being candidates depending on Evgeniy's progress in the next
> > months.
>
> I can live with this list, as long as genericprojectmanager != custom-makefile
> manager(Without that, KDevelop would be useless to the majority of the
> potential users if we look at more than just the KDE devs).

No, GenericProjectManager is that thing in kdevplatform/plugins which
currently only supports choosing a directory and providing a tree of
files/folders in that directory. Its currently almost useless for
anything. Custom Makefile support is in kdevelop/buildtools, but unlike
the KDevelop3 version it only support Make, not other buildtools.

You may be gone tomorrow, but that doesn't mean that you weren't here today.