Shell is testable and Session-Support

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Oct 20 16:32:10 UTC 2008

On 20.10.08 10:38:45, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Sunday 19 October 2008 11:22:19 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > first of all: I just comitted a few changes to kdevplatform which should
> > make it possible/easier to write tests for plugins in cases where one wants
> > to replace one or another of the controller. Its a new library
> > kdevplatformtestshell which provides a Core subclass, see api dox for usage
> > information.
> >
> > This means I can finally go forward writing the last couple of tests for
> > the new session controller. After thats done I'll start to implement
> > support for disabling plugins and will use the session for that.
> >
> > But thats only part of what can be done with sessions, the question that
> > now arises: What else should be part of a session and what should stay
> > in "global" configuration. Especially which settings from kdeveloprc should
> > be moved into the session (and maybe also which ones from the project
> > kcm's).
> >
> > Andreas
>
> IMHO, session is the wrong name for it, as it implies that the plugins i've
> disabled will become enabled again the next time i start KDevelop.
>
> Since I'm sure i missed the initial discussion (or it took place on IRC, which
> despite my constant presence in channel, I rarely pay attention to), could you
> go over the initial feature again please or tell me where to search the
> archives? :)

Most of the idea was discussed in April in Munich face-to-face :) Basically
we said we want something similar to Eclipse workspace-feature or kate's
session support, except the annoyances :)

So its a way of storing configuration options (like list of opened
projects, eventually inter-project deps, list of loaded global plugins) and
plugin-metadata (like the teamwork plugin has) and associate that with a
"name", so that one can switch between such setups.

You will be given a post of trust and responsibility.