target url from the project manager

Aleix aleixpol at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:20:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 14.10.08 22:07:42, Matt Rogers wrote:
> but
> for

> is

> that

> URLs?
> > >
> > > Well, the problem is that 1 target might generate more than 1 file ->
> more
> > > than 1 url. The example that apaku used was that a library in windows
> is
> > > composed by many files.
> >
> > Yeah, but you can't run a library, can you?
>
> Right, the problem is if we put this API on IBuildSystemManager it better
> also work for all other types of targets as we can't change that interface
> easily. Also what about custom targets, which also might have multiple
> output files (which is what this API gives access to basically)
>
> > I think we should limit this particular piece of information only to the
> > executable targets. KUrl::List then becomes a good candidate for storing
> > that information.
>
> Actually just KUrl, because we're talking about accessing the information
> for one specific target.
>
> See my other post for more information.
>
> > But then again, perhaps I miss something and this is about more than just
> > being able to have a list of executable targets per project.
>
> The use-case that Aleix has right now is exactly that, but we didn't like
> the idea of having
>
> IBuildSystemManager::executableTargetOutput( ExecutableProjectItem* )
> IBuildSystemManager::libraryTargetOutput( LibraryProjectItem* )
>
> Or in that case rather ExecutableProjectItem::outputInformation. This
> latter version imposes added complexity at least for the cmake support,
> according to Aleix. Its easier for him to have the API on the buildsystem
> manager.

Well, actually, as I said, now I am storing the information in the item data
(that's why I said), so it is ok to have it in the item.
I'm fine with whatever implementation as soon as we have the way to retrieve
the information.

Btw, I still think that the executable url is the executable path itself and
we don't want the .shell file. We can retrieve the information from the
.shell file from the buildmanager.