GenericProjectManager improvements

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 09:31:59 UTC 2008

> No, one KDirWatch instance can watch up to 8192 files+directories if you
> use inotify and if the inotify limit hasn't been changed. If however the
> distribution, or user decided to use another watch-method, like fam/gamin
> or even polling the filesyste, then you can watch as many files+directories
> with 1 KDirWatch instance as you want (no idea wether fam/gamin have a
> maximum limit here)
Ah - ok - I see.
So this is only a problem if a project has more than 8000 directories.
And wouldn't
it be easier in that case that KDirWatch would handle the multiple
inotify instances
transparently?

The problem that we still have (with multiple inotify instances if the
limit is exceded)
is performance - especially if polling is used I guess.
Do we have to find a solution for that now?

Niko