adding and removing items from a buildtool

Aleix aleixpol at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 01:57:12 UTC 2008

hi!
I was taking a look at the API we have right now to add and remove items
from a buildtool (IProjectFileManager + IBuildSystemManager), here there are
some thoughts:
- We can either add files to a target or to a folder, sounds confusing (even
if i understand the reason).
   -> Why don't he overload to add to a folder or a target depending on the
parent type?
- If we can rename a file we should provide it its new parent, not just the
Url, same for directory.
- Why do we ask for an Url? wouldn't it be better to provide a string
relative to the parent? (which could be a url, though...)
- Return types: my idea is not to actually put the new items but to open the
editor with the things changed so that the user only have to save the file
(that way the user can review what has changed and check if he is happy with
the change or undo it if he didn't like it). That means that the new item is
not yet created when returning on that method.

Any thoughts on using the document to let the user dis/agree with the
changes?

Who should actually add/remove the directories/files/whatever?

Thanks,
Aleix

PS: I don't really know how far am I going to be able to go, but I feel like
it may be useful.