KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Fri Nov 7 23:45:05 UTC 2008

Friday 07 November 2008 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2008, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
>
> > - Drop-down bad
> > - Working file sets good in the medium-term
> > - Make people work as little as possible with the on-disk file structure
> > good in the long term
>
> Why ?
> Usually bigger projects have a structured directory layout, so they are
> relatively easy to navigate, at least easier than a long flat list of
> files. It also helps to know the directory layout if you are "learning" the
> structure of a project, so I don't see why we should keep people from using
> the directory layout.

  i may not be explaining it well enough - i'm not saying that projects should
have a perfectly flat file structure, that would, as you indicate, not be very
good for large projects. What i /am/ saying is that we could go a much longer
way to helping people put their files into sane positions on disk, as well as
moving them around (with confirmation, of course, and only if they use this
feature to begin with) - think a folder for a namespace, a (two) file(s) for a
class and such... :)
  The IDE can go a very long way to help you keep your files ordered, but it
of course it needs to be clever enough to figure out when the user does /not/
want it to do so (probably the easiest thing to do it with an option per
project, but...) :) Hope that makes more sense...

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                          Co-