KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Thu Nov 6 19:20:21 UTC 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008 13:01:14 Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2008 21:55:11 David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 6. November 2008 19:08:20 schrieb Matt Rogers:
> > > SVN commit 880868 by mattr:
> > >
> > > Move the text editor status to be just under the editor window
> >
> > Hmm the problem I see with this is that we still have the normal status
> > bar. So now even more vertical space is permanently taken away, wich
> > sucks, at least if it's just used for the Line/Column information that's
> > a real waste. However it could be made useful by moving a part of the
> > code-browser there, specifically the bar that shows the current
> > surrounding function, and the back/forward navigation-history buttons
> > related to that. You think it would be possible to add own widgets there?

Which status bar are you talking about here? I was actually thinking that it
might be nice to add some UI that would behave like a combo box and
provide one of the following two items:

- other open files
- other functions in the same file

For the global status bar, I have some other ideas for that as well, but it'll
take me a few days to turn them into something concrete to present.

> Do you happen to remember that we talked about breadcrumps nagivation
for
> files, in the form of:
>
> 	project -> dir -> file -> function
>
> ? This is probably what can be put there.
>
> A student of mine is working on addition such navigation in kdevelop, some
> code is likely to appear next week, and then we can play. Though now, the
> nagivator is on top of the window.
>
> - Volodya

No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it (just like adymo's sublime code
drop).
--
Matt