KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Nov 6 20:19:23 UTC 2008

On 06.11.08 20:53:53, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. November 2008 20:47:56 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 06.11.08 23:01:14, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > On Thursday 06 November 2008 21:55:11 David Nolden wrote:
> > > Do you happen to remember that we talked about breadcrumps nagivation for
> > > files, in the form of:
> > >
> > > 	project -> dir -> file -> function
> > >
> > > ? This is probably what can be put there.
> >
> > No actually, that should be replacing the tabs :) I currently seriously
> > consider not having KDevelop4 with tabs, I mean look at the blogs about
> > QtCreator, nobody complained about missing tabs to switch between files.
> > The combobox there was just fine for everybody and it didn't even include
> > any path.
> Well, I didn't seriously try using it, but I did not like it. You need to
> click 3 times to get another file displayed, and never see what's open..

Well, you can't really say that about 20 tabs either. And besides, we could
have the combobox popup while hovering, which means 1 click. Even without
hovering its 2 clicks to change the file. Apart from that, I also want to
have a small overlay widget displaying the list of files around the current
one when switching with keys.

> > > A student of mine is working on addition such navigation in kdevelop,
> > > some code is likely to appear next week, and then we can play. Though
> > > now, the nagivator is on top of the window.
> >
> > Wooooot! Leave it there.
> It would be a lot cooler having one navigator per split-view!

Oh, uhm, of course. I didn't see any indication so far that it would be
covering all split-views, that would be pretty short-sighted.

> Also the navigator does not show the set of open files, so it imo approaches a
> completely different problem than the tabs.

There's quickopen and the documents list if you want to really see all of
the open files. And both work with more than a handful of files.

Save energy: be apathetic.