KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:27:54 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 16:09:52 schrieb Evgeniy Ivanov:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 03.11.08 22:23:12, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> >> 8) check in and out my project from any modern VCS
> >
> > SVN works, except adding new files. At least last I checked :) We need to
> > sort out the menu-mess a bit and provide better GUI for some things
> > (svn blame still doesn't use the "specially created for it"
> > kate-annotation support)
>
> Git,Hg, Bzr can do most common things except clonning existed projects.
> Git also has branching and some another features (the weakest place is
> revision history). Mostly all things are tested, but having some Squish
> tests will make us sure it works.
> I hope when I adopt to my work-project, I will give some love to these
> plugins. Also I hope to become stronger in python, so we will able to
> integrate QBazaar to our current executors (afaik it's maintained by
> somebody from KDE).
> Andreas has written some optimization for isVersionControlled(), but
> some my menu-code still works in a "wrong" way. It's the thing I dislike.
I think we anyway should not ship all of these with KDevelop 4.0, because it's
very unprobably that they really all get properly tested before. I think, for
KDevelop 4.0, we should concentrate on really rock-solid Git and Svn support.

> As for usability: I don't like too many menus and buttons. If user
> doesn't need VCS integration, he shouldn't see any VCS menus (but some
> easy to use switch in options). The same is about other features. It can

Exactly.. this thing needs to be fixed as well. Those menus cannot work at all
if the file is not in the proper version-control system, and we sould not
have _any_ menu-entries in the UI that don't work.

Greetings, DAvid