KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 4 10:55:41 UTC 2008

On 03.11.08 22:23:12, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> I'd personally expect the finished KDevelop4 to
> 1) start fast

85% Check, IMHO its still too slow, but I'm not sure we can make it any faster

> 2) open any kde/cmake project from the directory on my disk without much
> question

Check.

> 3) load that project as fast as possible

See my recent post about replacing regexs. IMHO 10 seconds for kdevplatform
is ok. As David said they have something in mind to do some more caching,
which might help.

Another big hurdle here might be the treeview itself and/or the images in
it, icons take time to load.

> 4) compile it and compile parts of it

Yeah, if you have good ideas how to improve the current buildset-problem,
I'm open to anything. I want the buildset to stay, but obviously the
initial hurdle is still too high to find and use it. Maybe a toolbar button
in the projectview toolview that simply builds the current selection -
similar to what the context menu provides

> 5) set a breakpoint, launch debugger and stop on it

Thats one of the bigger things to fix.

> 6) give me code completion

Check.

> 8) check in and out my project from any modern VCS

SVN works, except adding new files. At least last I checked :) We need to
sort out the menu-mess a bit and provide better GUI for some things
(svn blame still doesn't use the "specially created for it" kate-annotation
support)

So as David said I think we're quite well on track, however I also see that
people that try kdevelop for the first time need to be guided a bit more.
I'll post some ideas shortly about this (influenced by the recent blog
posts) for discussion.

If you stand on your head, you will get footprints in your hair.