Name Change

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 3 14:55:24 UTC 2008

On 03.11.08 11:09:17, David Nolden wrote:
> Hi guys! I know we've had the same discussion about a year ago, but looking at
> the comments to my last blog-post, I do believe now that we need a
> name-change.
>
> The problem:
> - People tend to measure KDevelop4 based on KDevelop3, although it's a
> actually completely new app. This means that people who found KDevelop3 too
> complicated won't try KDevelop4 as well.
> - People who did like KDevelop3 will expect the same functionality in
> KDevelop4, which he most probably is not going to get.
>
> I don't think this is a pressing issue right now, but it might make sense to
> consider this before our first stable release.

KDevelop tried to do that once in its history and apparently it didn't
quite work out (or they intentionally changed back from Gideon to KDevelop
before the 3.0 release, dunno wasn't here when that happened).

Personally I'd like to stick with KDevelop and I also think the reason that
people judge based on KDevelop3 is that KDevelop3 is all they have. We
don't have any release out yet, hell we didn't even manage to get word
across about our alpha releases (at least not the first 2).

So, we definetly need to improve our "marketing" work, i.e. spread the word
about this great IDE. We definetly want a dot-article together with the
first stable release, maybe even with the beta, not sure. I'm going to do
the write-work there, but we all need to do more blogging, including
pictures and hopefully sooner or later screencasts. Manuel did some for his
SoC so he probably knows how to easily setup things.

Break into jail and claim police brutality.