Project Configuration

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Mar 8 21:24:42 UTC 2008

On 08.03.08 19:49:50, David Nolden wrote:
> While using kdevelop I've noticed that project configuration is buried in the
> menus quite deeply. The path is: "Settings -> Configure Project ->
> ProjectName". Also I think it's not perfectly intuitive having the
> project-configuration under "Settings", because for me settings usually means
> changing the behavior of KDevelop itself.

Well and I think its the complete opposite for newcomers. Settings is
similar to configuration and thus I think newcomers will search for
project configuration under Settings. Of course I can't back that up
with any data and yes, having project options under Project is also
completely sane.

> So I propose putting the project-information in a more accessible place.
>
> Possible locations:
>
> "Project -> ProjectName -> (Configure/Build)"

I'm not sure what you mean with "(Configure/Build)" there, but I'm fine
with having Project -> Configure -> <Projectnames>

I don't think having the project names directly in the top-level menu is
a good idea, it simply doesn't fit with the rest.

Thinking about it a bit more, why is that in the menu at all? It doesn't
make sense to have stuff like that in the menu. It should simply be in
the context menu of the project manager. IMHO the menu should only
contain actions that don't _need_ a selection in any part of KDevelop
(though they might be able to work better with one). Thats what other
IDE's do and I don't see a problem with that.

> Another option would be just creating a top-level menu-item for each open
> project, so it would look lik
> "ProjectName -> Configure"

Hell no, that won't scale for more than 2 or 3 projects, as the menu bar
will grow wider than any screen.

> Of course there should be more project-options than just "Configure", for
> example "Build", "Close", etc.

Not even over my dead body ;) There's no sense to have that there. Those
are all actions which need a selection and thus their proper place is
either a menu inside the project manager or the context menu of that
view.

You look tired.