Using QTreeView instead of QListView for outputview

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 23:07:20 UTC 2008

On 19.06.08 23:23:32, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David asked me today how we can get horizontal scrollbars on the
> outputview. My initial reaction was: Should already work, but
> unfortunately QListView is totally unsuitable, unless one doesn't use
> uniformitemsizes and that means it does quite some more calculations
> than necessary.
>
> So I've changed the code back to using QTreeView, just as it was a few
> weeks ago. I know somebody here had problems with that, causing the menu
> to react slowly when a build was going on and there were many items.
>
> Thus I'd like to ask everybody to test the attached patch, especially
> with larger code-bases like kdevelop (lot of lines due to lot of files
> and targets, more than the platform IIRC) or even kdelibs. If there's
> nobody that sees a performance problem with qtreeview I'm going to
> commit this, else we'll have to find some other solution.

I had enough testing myself a few minutes ago. That patch is unbearably
slow. So for now we'll have to stick with qlistview and
non-wordwrapping, until someone either

- writes a new itemview that allows scrollbars+wordwrapping for simple
  line-lists
- puts an itemview API on top of QPlainTextEdit so we don't have to
  change the outputmodel-approach to QString.

Truth will out this morning.  (Which may really mess things up.)