KDevPlatform ruby extension progress

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:13:36 UTC 2008

I've checked in a kdevplatform Smoke library and a ruby extension that uses
it, into kdebindings/smoke/kdevplatform and kdebindings/ruby/kdevplatform
respectively. There are over 125 KDevelop:: and Sublime:: classes wrapped,
although I still need to add the list marshallers for the Ruby extension
(that shouldn't take long).

The following classes gave problems with either the code generation or
linking and weren't wrapped:

KDevelop::BackgroundParser
KDevelop::ContextOwner
KDevelop::Definition
KDevelop::IBuildSystemManager
KDevelop::IDocumentController
KDevelop::IPluginController
KDevelop::IProject
KDevelop::IProjectBuilder
KDevelop::IProjectFileManager
KDevelop::IQuickOpen
KDevelop::IRunProvider
KDevelop::IStatus
KDevelop::DUContext::SearchItem
KDevelop::DUChainObserver
KDevelop::QuickOpenFileSetInterface

I hope that none of these will be a showstopper WRT developing a Ruby
language plugin in Ruby. I wonder if the use of threading with ThreadWeaver
is going to be a problem with Ruby as it isn't threadsafe. Perhaps as long
as Ruby code is only ever running in one thread it will be ok.

The vcs headers gave a lot of compile problems and so I've left them out for
now.

The next step is to create a Ruby language plugin and try it out..

-- Richard