Fwd: Sponsoring Kdevelop

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jun 7 08:19:56 UTC 2008

On 07.06.08 01:19:16, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 June 2008 19:19:15 Aleix wrote:
> > > Why do we take the money at all? They're offering something that I think
> > >  might be more worthwhile as a start: A new design for our projects
> > >  website.
> I'm sorry, but I obviously do not agree. I put a lot of time in the website.
> It runs tons of scripts and it uses the latest HTML+CSS satandards, it follows
> webcoding guidelines and all.
> If you do not like it submit patches for the .css file, that is the only file
> that you need to change to get a hole new look, nothing else.

Even for a complete re-ordering of the general layout?

> > >  There have been quite some complaints from normal users that
> > >  our website is a bit overloaded and its hard to find stuff and I have to
> > >  agree.
> Have had a alternative design on the website for a long time, but you need
> a "special" URL to activate it.
> www.kdevelop.org/~set_navmenu=user
>
> And you can bring it back with
> www.kdevelop.org/~set_navmenu=developer
>
> I've made the website with developers in mind, but the mass of our visitors
> are dumb users, so it might be a good idea to switch to the "user" mode.

Looking at both pages side-by-side I think the "user" version is a lot
friendlier for newcomers. Can we have it such that there's a link to
switch to the developer version it stores this in a cookie, similar to
the language choice? Also I noticed that the "user" version doesn't have
a link to the forum, maybe that should be added.

Other than that I think we can make the user version the default and get
quite some complaints off our back. Thanks for digging out the link :)

> > >  It doesn't really look very up-to-date either.
> But it is, the website uses 4 diffwerent cron jobs to generate itself, every
> 10 minutes

I meant design/ui wise, not in terms of content. I know the content is
100% up-to-date and you're doing a great job keeping it that way. :)

> > >  Eventually we
> > >  could even get the wiki properly fit into the website itself - which is
> > >  one of the main reasons I find the wiki a bit awkward, it feels like a
> > >  completely different website unrelated to kdevelop.org.
> Regarding the wiki, it's a pretty much out-of-the-box mediawiki installation,
> and yes I agree with you it does not integrate well with the website.

I guess what I'm thinking about is having the wiki but still at least
the navigation on the right side so I can easily switch back to other
parts of the website. And then of course a wiki theme that matches our
website. I don't know mediawiki (or any other wiki software for that
matter), but maybe I can try and help you out a bit with that.

Your love life will be happy and harmonious.