filesystem view does not honour single click

David Nolden zwabel+kde at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:00:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008 09:21:51 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 30.05.08 06:29:45, Kishore wrote:
> > On Friday 30 May 2008 2:45:47 am Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Apart from those techical issues: What if kdevelop is started on a
> > > system that doesn't have dolphin installed? The KPart is not part of
> > > kdelibs or kdebase-runtime, which means people won't get any
> > > filemanager if they don't install dolphin. Thats not good IMHO. I know
> > > the same applies to the embedded konsole, but writing a good terminal
> > > app is quite a bit more work then displaying the data of the existing
> > > filesystem model and adding some basic navigation to it.

Well, writing a good file-management view also isn't trivial ;)

There's a few problems I have with the current implementation:
1. Distracting animations(slow on my machine)
2. No multi-selection
3. No file-management implemented, like "delete file" etc.
4. When I push the "create folder" button, kdevelop crashes
5. No multi-selection
6. No file tree
7. Not respecting system-wide settings like single/multi click

With a dolphin part, we would instantly have all that and more.

> So thats not something I want to do for KDevelop and making dolphin a
> dependency of KDevelop is of course no option either.

Well what's our options? I think a good integrated file-manager is worth the
added dependency. The other option would be using the file-manager we have
now as a simple fallback, then we'd just need to fix the few bugs, and when
someone doesn't like the behavior or wants more features, we can tell him to
get dolphin.

Greetings, David