Requiring KDE 4.2/trunk

David Nolden zwabel+kde at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 21:52:43 UTC 2008

Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2008 23:21:20 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Hi,
>
> now that trunk/ is KDE 4.2 I'd like to know what you think when we can
> start to require KDE 4.2? In particular there's a new method in
> KDirOperator that we need to provide extendable context menu in the
> filemanager plugin. I'm not going to implement that tomorrow, so there's
> no need to rush, I'd just like to know what others think is a reasonable
> time-frame to "let the dust settle" :)
>
> Andreas

If you ask me, we can require it from now on. There will probably be changes
in the code-completion interfaces soon anyway that will require kde 4.2.

About KDirOperator: I've noticed that at least the "short" view is not
suitable to be used in a vertical dock, because it expands horizontally
instead of vertically(which means that you nearly always have to scroll
horizontally).

The detailed view is imo too detailed, and also always creates a horizontal
scrollbar. Those behaviors can not be configured in the GUI, can they be
configured through API?

Else, I think we need to look for something else, or try to improve
KDirOperator. Specifically I'd prefer a tree similar to the dolphin detailed
mode with the "tree" option. Maybe we should also take a look at the
file-tree plugins that have been written for kate.

Greetings, David