[RFC] soversion of kdevplatform libraries

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jan 15 23:18:37 UTC 2008

On 13.01.08 15:10:56, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a look at the installation of kdevplatform and found that the
> libraries all use the GENERIC_LIB_* stuff from kdelibs, which gives us
> soversion of 4 and version number of 4.0.0 (and soon 4.1.0).
>
> IMHO thats a bit dishonest regarding the stability and relatively
> newness of those libraries. Also its a "huge" jump from the public libs
> in kdevelop3 (where the libs had soversion 0).
>
> How does everybody feel about using soversion 1 and version 1.0.0 for
> the initial release of kdevplatform?

This is a heads up for everyone compiling kdevelop4 regurlarly. I'm
going to commit the change on thursday evening (about 45 hours from
now). Matt already announced we're not following kdelibs soversion on
k-c-d, so I'm taking that and the lack of reponses so far as an "ok".

Anybody feel free to object and explain your reasoning.

And the real reason I'm notifying everybody in advance, is that you're
going to need to remove all libxxx.so* from your builddir/lib directory
and of course also from installdir/lib. So a build will take some time.

Go to a movie tonight.  Darkness becomes you.