Breadcrumbs implementation - patch

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Dec 18 18:52:57 UTC 2008

On 18.12.08 19:03:14, David Nolden wrote:
> For the first, we currently have the tabs, and we don't have a replacement
> right now(Remember it's not only for navigation, but also for overview to
> know what you have open etc.).

I think you mean, there's nothing in the ui except a toolview that gives
you a list of currently opened files.

> I am thinking of modifying the tab-widget so it supports grouping and maybe
> even a very simple "tree" like management, this could also be the interface
> for the planned working-sets. For now, the tabs only work properly for up to
> 5 files, but that's still better than nothing.

Do you need this information available all the time? Or could it work
similar to the uses-widget, i.e. its easily triggered by a keystroke. So
say you hold down Ctrl then a 90% opaque list of open files, sorted in the
least-recently-used order comes up, you can navigate the list and jump to
an entry. This would scale a lot better than tabs and we could provide
other orders than least-recently-used...

IMHO working-sets is a bit different beast, because you usually set one up
and then switch between them, closing/opening files as needed. Tabs are a
way to easily see what you've got open right now and also to navigate among
these files with the mouse. But for mouse navigation a bread-crumb is
almost as good as tabs, it requires 1 click more in "worst case", but in
best case it requires a lot less clicks than tabs with their navigation
arrows.

However I actually don't care anymore too much about this for me
personally. With kdev4 I have 1 shortcut to jump to any file, wether its
open or not, because opened files are grouped at the top of quick-open. All
I'd like to have is a proper navigation history (not sure we have that yet,
if we do I just need to learn to use it).

You are magnetic in your bearing.