broken QObject::connect in quickopen plugin

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 13 22:16:55 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2008 12:53:12 schrieb Alexander Dymo:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 13:34:26 David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2008 10:09:07 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > Which brings me to my question: Can we have the multiple selection in
> > > quickopen back? I'm using that feature every once in a while in
> > > KDevelop3.
> >
> > What's it useful for, and how is it supposed to work when the keyboard
> > focus always stays in the line edit?
>
> Speaking about quickopen. May we also have pattern matching back? ;)
> Seriously, I can't imagine myself working with a quickopen without pattern
> matching.
>
> My usecases for it:
> 1) two files with the same name in two different directories:
> 	dir1*filename
> This is especially needed for ruby/rails projects when you end up having
> tons of files with the same name.
>
> 2) method names (especially test methods)
> 	foo*bar
> 	test*foo
>
> If you think pattern matching is slow for general usage, let's turn it on
> only when the search string contains * or ? chars. I do want to pay any
> penalty to get pattern matching ;)
This could be implemented again, although it might be a little bit of work.
Just my the way the current matching is already quite intelligent when you
know how to use it.

Example: You type "quick::nav", and it shows you all items that have one
scope-part that contains "Quick", and a later scope-part that contains "nav",
for example KDevelop::QuickOpenPlugin::navigateFunctions, but not something
like "NavigationWidget::quickOpen".

For most practical usecases this should be enough pattern-matching. The same
could also be implemented for filenames, so if you type "lang/rep" you would
get "language/duchain/repositores/..".

Greetings, David