struggling to build KDev4

dizzy dizzy at roedu.net
Fri Aug 22 14:10:18 UTC 2008

On Friday 22 August 2008 16:59:36 Marek Jasovsky wrote:
> Andreas, is this some typo, or you really mean that I should build
> WHOLE KDE4 from scratch, to some temp dir and then use this build to
> run kde apps?

The problem is current kdev4 requires kdelibs from trunk (it doesn't work with
4.1.x kdelibs). As such you need to build those yourself unless you have some
distribution with trunk kdelibs. What some people do is build kdev4 and all
dependencies into that directory (notice that does not mean "WHOLE KDE4", it
just means kdevplatform, kdelibs and deps of that).

My current solution is to have kde 4.1 DE installed system wide from Gentoo
kdesvn-portage ebuilds (this automatically takes care of installing all those
dependencies for kdelibs and such). I also have in parallel (still system
wide) kdelibs from trunk (as there are ebuilds for that too). Then, I build
and install only kdevplatform/kdev4 into ~/kde4 (so I can update/patch/etc
without the hassle of messing with ebuilds).

You seem to be using OpenSUSE, I think there are already rpm's with kde 4.1
Try to install those (and their deps) and then try just to build kdelibs,
kdevplatform, kdevelop4 into ~/kde4 using the same deps (I didn't noticed
kdelibs trunk requiring anything more than kdelibs 4.1 do).

--
Dizzy
			"Linux is obsolete" -- AST