UI-less kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 06:44:38 UTC 2008

On 06.08.08 23:20:53, Manuel Breugelmans wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2008 22:29:54 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 06.08.08 21:27:32, David Nolden wrote:
> > > Just as one more motivation: With the ability to have a full kdevelop
> > > just without UI, we could write much better tests, especially for C++
> > > support. The whole parts that depend on the editor, document-controller,
> > > background-parser, etc. are currently completely untested, which is a
> > > problem.
> >
> > And why is that not possible with a gui? We already provide a basic
> > dummy shell for tests under tests/common.
>
> For unit tests, performance is vital. If they are too slow they will not get
> run after every edit/compile and be less effective. Instantiating a full shell
> for every case simply does not scale (be it ui-less or not)

Well, some things just need a shell.  And I wasn't saying that you need
to have a full shell for each unit-test in kdevelop. There are already
quite some unit-tests that don't have a shell.

Andreas

> You can have speedy tests by implementing fakes of the interfaces instead of
> constructing the real thing. This should make them more robust as well anyway.

Then provide a fake-shell for those tests, but don't force this as
public API onto the public library.

You single-handedly fought your way into this hopeless mess.