UI-less kdevplatform

Manuel Breugelmans mbr.nxi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:20:53 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 22:29:54 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 06.08.08 21:27:32, David Nolden wrote:
> > Just as one more motivation: With the ability to have a full kdevelop
> > just without UI, we could write much better tests, especially for C++
> > support. The whole parts that depend on the editor, document-controller,
> > background-parser, etc. are currently completely untested, which is a
> > problem.
>
> And why is that not possible with a gui? We already provide a basic
> dummy shell for tests under tests/common.

For unit tests, performance is vital. If they are too slow they will not get
run after every edit/compile and be less effective. Instantiating a full shell
for every case simply does not scale (be it ui-less or not)

You can have speedy tests by implementing fakes of the interfaces instead of
constructing the real thing. This should make them more robust as well anyway.

Manuel