Kudos to kdev4!

Aleix aleixpol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 18:26:40 UTC 2008

> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 21:48:01 Kishore wrote:
>  > Last week i built kdev4 from svn and it seems rather good! So i just wanted
>  > to say thank you and great work! I really look forward to it being released
>  > although i am going to use it more regularly now on!
>

> I thought i might add a bit about the stuff i liked, stuff i don't know about.
>
>  1) Colours. I do recollect talk on this list about the highlighting being too
>  colourful. Well it is colourfull and i love it! I have partial colour
>  blindness and this resulted in much of the colouring or kate/kdev from kde3
>  being largely useless to me. I hardly noticed difference between colours used
>  for identifying datatypes, etc. Only bold fonts stood out. Colours did not.
>  In kdev4 identification is a lot more easy for me!
>
>  2) A project appears to accept files outside the project directory. Which is
>  nice. But i suspect this is only for the header files and not for source
>  files. I use cmake for my projects and include a common folder for most of my
>  projects with the cmake code such as;
>
>  add_subdirectory(../common common)

Umm... interesting. I haven't thought of this use case. I'll check it
when I have some time.

>  So the code in the common folder that is outside the project folder also get
>  built with the project. Unfortunately, kdev4 does not seem recognize this and
>  does not list the *.c files that belong to this common folder in quick open.
>  However, *.h files are included in quick open.
>
>  3) Creating a project creates a Project.kdev4 file and a .kdev4 folder. Are
>  these version controllable? As in can i check them into VCS so that others
>  can reuse the project files with the same settings (debugger and build
>  settings) that i use? In first look it appears that Project.kde4 is VCS
>  friendly.
It is a good idea to have the Project.kdev4 file versioned because it
will not change in most of the cases. This is not the case of
.kdev4/*, which are too much system dependent...

>  4) As-you-type formatting remains a problem with conflicting settings between
>  katepart and kdev. I am wondering if there can be a solution for this. Coould
>  it be possible to pass formatting settings from kdev to katepart?
>
>  5) This is probably work in progress but i was unable to build a project with
>  the build option. Only "build all projects" option worked which of course
>  would build all open projects.
The compilation work flow is quite strange. You have to add every
folder/file/target to the buildset and then click build (F8). Works
for me (TM) :)

>  Something that i noticed. kdev4 crashes if i edit and save the CMakeLists.txt
>  of an open project. Editing other source files is fine and even editing a
>  CMakelists.txt file is fine if the project is not open. Just some input there
>  if it were not noticed before.
How new is your snapshot? The reparsing suport was enhanced last week
and should work fine.
Your out-of-directory folders might cause problems also, so if you
don't have a recent build, update then try it.
If you have a recent version and still crashes, please send me the
back trace and, if possible, the kdevelop's debug output.

>  Well! kdev4 looks mighty good from what i see! :-)
>
> --
>  Cheers!
>  Kishore

Thanks,