GSoC: DVCS project

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Tue Apr 22 10:06:20 UTC 2008

On Tuesday, 22. April 2008, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:
> First of all I want to thank everybody for choosing my project. I hope I
> will do everything I promised to do.
> And congrats with beginning of GSoC 2008 :) Good luck in discussing
> ideas and in coding!

Congrats for being accepted, I'm very much looking forward to your project :)

> At this moment I will start to do all preliminary researches (deep
> inside Qt/KDE development, play more with python and of course study the
> core of DVCSs and current code of KDevelop).
> Since I need to implement a generic DVCS support I need to learn more
> than 1 DVCS system (first is Git) and I don't know what else to choose.
> Maybe Mercurial? Any other advices?

Mercurial is in large parts quite similar to Git, even if they differ in
various minor technical and user interface details.

I would suggest Bazaar as second reference as it comes with slightly more
differences and also has the concept of "lightweight checkouts" that support
traditional centralized development methodologies. (Of course, nothing stops
you from trying out all three of Git, Mercurial and Bazaar!)

Wishes,
  Jakob