KDevelop4 UI [was: Want to participate in KDevelop4 development]

Mohammad Bhuyan nuxser at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:27:24 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 24.09.07 11:55:55, Mohammad Bhuyan wrote:
> > IDEs like VisualStudio has a nice approach of having a "Solution" to
> > contain/manage multiple projects. I find it very intuitive for
> > developers to go with the
> >
> > concept of a "Solution" contains "Projects" and all of the are managed
> > through "Solution Explorer". What is the vision of Kdevelop4 regarding
> > this?
>
> So far we're aiming for a loosely coupled list of projects, not stored
> into a separate file. IMHO the list of opened projects should just be a
> list of url's of the .kdev4 files. If a project then depends on another
> project that should be expressed by a configuration item in that
> projects .kdev4 file, naming the projectname of the other project (not
> the .kdev4 file). This is not implemented yet.

My thinking was, having the "solution" (anybody want to coin a term
here?) concept hence a file to represent the solution will have to
contain more than a list of .kdev4 file urls.

While I agree that inter project dependency metadata can be contained
in the individual project files, but there are few properties of
solution that things that should be provided at the "solution" level.
Like,

The build configuration (Debug/Release) which either applies to all
the project within the solution or through an option at solution level
to let the individual project configuration to take precedence.

Version control of the solution (with its projects) as an entity.
Checkin/Checkout solution rather than individual project basis. Of
course with the provision where projects within a solution can reside
a different source repository than the solution file itself.

This two being from top of my head along with the fact that it has to
be future proof (yes yes, never happens but we try!) I would think
that we need to carefully define the "solution file" rather than
thinking of it as a flat list of kdev4 URLs.

And if the idea is accepted and matured , I would like to start
implementation work on it.

> > (3) Output
> >

> > - Click code to jump to help file / Internet location
>
> Huh? How do you mean that, can you elaborate a bit please?

Clicking error/warning number (code) takes to corresponding the help
file or internet location (TechBase??)

Will get back with more. Bit of a work pile to deal with at this moment.

-- Soyuz