[RFC] Switch to RapidSVN's client lib

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 02:15:12 UTC 2007

On 25.09.07 20:45:08, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 08:32:19 am Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the last 2/3 weeks I've been looking into the subversion plugin, seeing
> > if it needs work. And it does need some love indeed. I'd like to "hide"
> > some things, remove the "Core" class (which basically just provides tons
> > of functions) and make the whole thing more "object oriented".
> >
> > My problem is: The svn-API is
> >
> > a) horrible, most of the functions exist in 2-4 versions, depending on
> > which svn-lib version you want to use
> > b) horribly documented, the generated doxygen documentation is only
> > usable on a per-header basis (unless you only look for some structure),
> > there's no list of existing functions, no grouping whatsoever
> > c) requiring a lot of low-level-alloc-like code, i.e. plain setup of
> > some memory pool.
> >
> > Therefore I'd like to change our requirement and depend on RapidSVN's
> > C++ wrapper of the SVN client library. The documentation is far better,
> > it need much less low-level-setup as far as I can see, it's
> > object-oriented as far as it can be.
> >
> > I'd use libsvncpp 0.9.x as minimum required version. (As I don't have
> > anything earlier here at the moment)
> >
> > Opinions? Objections?
>
> My first thought is "yay! more dependencies".

I know, thats why I'm asking now after about 2 weeks looking through the
code :)

> However, if it makes it easier for us to implement and provide better
> subversion support, then go for it! :)

I doubt the support will be any "better", but it will be more
maintainable (unless you're very familiar with the C-API and not very
comfortable with object-oriented programming) and easier for others to
"get into the code".

Avoid gunfire in the bathroom tonight.