branches/KDE/3.5/kdevelop/lib/astyle

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Sep 21 22:21:21 UTC 2007

On 21.09.07 23:54:42, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Friday, 21. September 2007, Matt Rogers wrote:
>
> > > b) KDE/3.5/kdevelop/ is now "dead", i.e. its not the stable KDevelop
> > > anymore (as of 2 or 3 weeks ago). Would you mind comitting this change
> > > to branches/kdevelop/3.5/ as well?
>
> (sorry did not get the original mail)
>
> Uh boy, I'm entirely sick of kdevelop moving around where it develops
> something twice per year.

Right, unfortunately KDE release rules forced us to do so.

> if you think you have to reinvent a new place where you develop
> kdevelop just because you're bored, then please make sure that patches
> are ported over to your current playground as well.

Its not about being bored at all. We had several things that would break
the existing freezes which we wanted to go into KDevelop3 because
kdevelop3 will be around for much longer time than other parts of KDE3.
And thus we moved to a branch, because we can't commit non-bugfixes to
branches/KDE/3.5.

> > Sorry, but these changes need to stay since we're distributing the
> > astyle source code with KDevelop. Having this pushed up to astyle
> > upstream is nice, but not a requirement.
>
> The stuff is already pushed upstream as astyle fails compilation too. In any
> case there is probably a reason for kdevelop including a deep copy of astyle
> instead of using the system installed version, but it can't be a requirement.

As far as I can see the reason is simply that astyle only provides a
binary application. There's no library to format a char* or std::string.
Kdevelop needs that so you don't get a dialog from katepart because
astyle-binary changed the already-open source file. Also we provide
astyle-formatting on selected texts which is also not possible with the
application. So yes there is a valid reason we have a copy of astyle.

> Also I agree, you should really decide if you want to focus on KDevelop4 or
> just play games with branches.

Yes, I completely agree and as far as I can see we do focus on
KDevelop4, but most of us use KDev3 for that still and we want to be
able to scratch itches we find while doing so.

You should emulate your heros, but don't carry it too far.  Especially
if they are dead.