Handling of .ui files for code-information

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Thu Sep 20 11:42:44 UTC 2007

> Hi,
>
> I recently thought a bit how we could handle .ui files in kdevelop4.
>
> I'm thinking about a language part for .ui file which would simply
> create a DUContext of type class and a couple of declarations for the
> widgets in it. That way a C++ or Python language support just needs to
> find out that
>
> #include "ui_foo.h" (or import ui_foo) means asking the
> ui-language part
> for the DUContext for that file.
>
> Another option would be making a .ui file parser available as library
> and then each language support would have to create the
> contexts itself
> using their own custom types and such things.
>
> Any other ideas I haven't thought of? Or problems with either
> approach?

I don't know that the time required to do such a thing would be worth
the investment (especially for 4.0).  With the new C++ parsing framework
in kdevelop 4, as long as the generated headers exist on the disk they
will be parsed correctly.  What do you imagine this special .ui file
information would be used for?

Kris Wong