KDevelop3.5 slows down sometimes

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Oct 23 19:16:32 UTC 2007

On 23.10.07 19:37:34, David Nolden wrote:
> Ubuntu gutsy has kdevelop 3.5.0 now, and I've noticed the same problem there.
> It is very disturbing.
>
> @Andreas
> Is this maybe caused by your patch to cppsupportpart.cpp, that made
> the "code-model changed" signal trigger more reliably? I think there was a
> similar problem long time ago, that also was caused by problems in that area.

Hmm, indeed that could be a cause.

> Unfortunately I don't have a working self-compiled kdevelop 3.4 version any
> more, so I cannot test it.

Well, reverting the change would do as well (if it really is that
change). To do that I think

svn merge -r713539:713538
https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/kdevelop/3.5/languages/cpp@722550

should work. Note that for some reason most/all of the changes in the
3.5 branch don't show up on the log in KDE/3.5/kdevelop. I guess this is
because I did a svn merge and not a svn cp or somehting like that...

> It would be great if we could provide a fix for this, and push it out as fast
> as possible, because the problem is really annoying, and may affect a lot of
> people.

Agreed.

> The simplest fix would probably be just reverting that patch, and living with
> the fact that the class-view is not pefectly synced sometimes.

Was that really the plugin that suffered from the problem? I know I
asked you about the cpp-code, but I don't know wether that was a mail or
IRC :(

Anyway I'll try to check what signals classview uses and what it does
when it gets them. The flickering the navbar suggests its actually
re-creating the content on each change to a file, which in turn means
the signals emitted from the cpp part are either wrongly used or emitted
in the wrong cases...

You will be given a post of trust and responsibility.