Future of KDevelop 3.5 development

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Oct 13 16:50:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

seeing that I already have 3 bugs fixed in QM in the last days and
possibly have another 3 bugs coming up the next days I'm thinking about
what to do with the KDev3 branch.

I know Mathieu wants to do some embedded stuff and rather wants to do
this in the kdevelop/3.5 branch than in KDE/3.5/kdevelop. OTOH I find it
tedious to copy over all bugfixes from kdevelop/3.5 into the kde-stable
branch. Also Stephan Kulow the KDE3 release maintainer said that he
doesn't care too much about feature-freeze in the stable-branch because
its main purpose was to keep people from working on KDE3 (and have them
focus on KDE4). Last but not least kdepim is going to get a major update
in a few weeks from the work at kdab, so another KDE3.5 release is very
likely (even if it takes another 5-6 months) and we'd get another
release for free (possibly doing one ourselves before that I guess).

So to make a long story short: Switch back to KDE/3.5/kdevelop for
KDevelop3.5.x including features and new/changed strings? And if not,
let KDE/3.5/kdevelop "bitrot" or port bugfixes to it?

My favourite option is moving back to KDE/3.5, as we shouldn't have too
much changes from now and also not many string changes so we shouldn't
get yelled by release team or translators.

Love is in the offing.  Be affectionate to one who adores you.