Quickopen

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Tue Oct 2 12:47:32 UTC 2007

> To the subject:
> @Andreas:
> "Translation unit" does not mean "File", as Alexander said it includes
> included files. Maybe we could call it "File and Imports" or
> something.

"Active source file" makes sense to me, the #include'd files are implied.

> The position of the radio-buttons:
> I think they should stay below. While theoretically you're
> right, we've got to
> consider the work-flow here. In 95% of all cases you won't
> use those buttons.
> In most cases you will push a "quickopen ..." shortcut, the
> dialog will open,
> you will start typing into the search-field, and want to feel a direct
> interaction between the search-field and the item-list. So
> it's good that you
> don't even notice those radio-buttons in such cases.
>
> But sometimes it will happen that you push "Quickopen ..." in
> a small project,
> and think "Damn this list is totally cluttered, I only want
> to see a list of
> files in my project", and in that confusion, the
> radio-buttons down there
> will save you. :)

I agree with David.  While according to UI design standards they would normally be positioned above the list, given that they will normally not be used, below the list seems more appropriate.  Their purpose is more to filter the list if it needs to be filtered, a determination you normally would not reach without first seeing how many results are in the list.

Kris Wong