Project Management View ideas

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:17:41 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007 16:35:39 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Because thats not a use-case for an IDE. If you want to work one a
> single file, you should use an editor+shell, I don't see a single reason
> to fire up a fully bloated IDE for something like that.
>
> Apart from that there's no API for doing this and I don't like the
> projectmanagerview do execution of arbitrary commands

It is a use-case for an IDE. KDevelop has a lot of goodies over a simple
editor, which are:
- Code-navigation, code-completion(the main points for me)
- Documentation-viewer
- Make-output parser with shortcuts
- Debugger

There is only one component that would not be needed in such a case: The
project-manager.

Also allowing to use exactly the goodies that people want, without much setup,
and allowing a slow transition from konsole to kdevelop, would be another big
advantage over eclipse(At least as far as I know).

We should allow them accessing the goodies they need, without breaking their
already existing workflow(even if it is ./buildMyStuff).

It would be ok creating a generic project in my exercises directory.

Still I'd like to see support for custom commands in the build-list at some
point, just for flexibility.(Think of kdesvn-build, dpkg-build,
checkinstall, ...)

greetigns, David