Project Management View ideas

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Nov 23 17:03:15 UTC 2007

On 23.11.07 17:41:46, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 23 November 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > If you want to work one a single file, you should use an editor+shell, I
> > don't see a single reason to fire up a fully bloated IDE for something like
> > that.
>
> -in order to not scare students away by having them type cryptic commands at
> a "DOS prompt"

Then they should use a simple buildsystem like qmake ;) And I don't
consider g++ -o foo foo.cpp cryptic.

> -in order to have an integrated debugger
> -in order to have integrated help

Ok, but thats completely orthogonal to building the file. Both items can
be provided completely independent of a project.

> -to be able to produce the preprocessed file/the assembler file without even
> more cryptic commands

At this stage you definetly want a buildsystem and then you have
a kdevelop project.

> -in order to be able to navigate on logic level (go to function etc.)

Thats also independant of build support.

Anyway, to repeat myself: I didn't say KDevelop4 won't be able to
execute arbitrary build commands, but you'll have to write a 3 line
.kdev4 file (or use the import project feature) into the dir that has
your single source file. For that there's going to be a generic project
manager (it already exists, but lacks build support) which would allow
to execute anything as build command - even executing code in a
scripting language is possible once we have scripting support in our
libs/interfaces.

Good day for overcoming obstacles.  Try a steeplechase.