[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Thu Nov 15 22:59:55 UTC 2007

I haven't read the mail just two days and bah! >50 emails in kdevelop-devel :)

1) We absolutely need to have only one ui mode - let's not repeat our past
mistakes with kmdi. Given current state of development my choice is to keep
Ideal and get rid of dockwidgets.

2) My preferred ui for the history would be quickopen dialog with ordered
files in it.

In fact, I'd like to see
- quickopen opened files
- quickopen navigation history
	list of opened and closed files ordered by access time
	with closed files properly coloured to indicate they aren't visible anymore
- quickopen edit history
	list of edited files (opened or closed) with positions inside the file
	(or ideally with method names, not only row numbers)

3) Looks like we need to have some kind of filelist toolview, but I personally
have no use for it, 3 quickopen modes as above would substitute it.

4) One thing I know for sure (and the sole reason for me still using tabs). I
need to see 3-4 files I work with. Usually in KDev3 I have tabs with those
files located one near another (it doesn't matter whether I have 4 files
opened or 40, I just need to see those 3-4 tabs on the screen).

This sounds like David's working set but here I'd like to explicitly say that
the file belongs to the working set. I.e. I'd like to press a shortcut
for "add to working set" action and see the tab created.