[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Wed Nov 14 21:56:41 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 22.08.17 Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 20:03:40 Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> > Multiline tabbars are widely regarded as Bad UI(tm). The reason is that
> > the active tabbar needs to be at the bottom to indicated which document
> > is actually open, which in turns leads to the requirement to _reorder_
> > the tabbars every time you switch document.
>
> Because, just highlighting the active tab is forbidden?

I dunno. I agree that highlighting might be better than reordering, but I
never saw it done like that.

One reason could be that the typical tabwidget indicates that one tab is
active by making it look like it "belongs" to the document (through less
contrast between the active tab and document than the other tabs have). Using
tab highlighting instead would need to remove this visual cue and instead
effectively creates what looks like buttons, with one button highlighted.

It's unpopular for a reason, and either way, using a tabwidget this way to
effectively _force_ the user to deal with the too-many-files-open problem
is.. the wrong solution.

IMHO, of course. ;)

// jens