[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Wed Nov 14 19:03:40 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 19.24.59 David Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 19:14:18 Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > As a final note:  *If* you want to use the horizontal tab bar, I'd
> > suggest simply starting a second bar below the first one when the first
> > bar runs full. Limit it to 5 bars, and you can at least scale tolerably.
>
> This sounds like a good idea. I haven't seen this in action, but it might
> allow a minimum overview.

Multiline tabbars are widely regarded as Bad UI(tm). The reason is that the
active tabbar needs to be at the bottom to indicated which document is
actually open, which in turns leads to the requirement to _reorder_ the
tabbars every time you switch document.

The reordering is really annoying and leads to a confusing experience due to
the perceived unpredictability of the tab placement.

Multiline tabbars were common in the late 90s, but have all but disappeared
since. They ARE a bad idea.

// jens