[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Wed Nov 14 18:51:26 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 19.15.20 David Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 16:00:52 Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> > "File sets" doesn't solve this. They are just the
> > remember-to-close-before-you-open idea on crutches. At least for this
> > problem. File sets could perhaps be nice for other use cases. I can't
> > quite see them.
>
> Nope.. it has nothing to do with "remember to close". The idea is that
> while the whole searching-process, you could use an own file-set where you
> open your 40 files that you close alltogether once you're ready, or you
> switch the file-set to another "working" set so you can come back to your
> 40 files when you think it's needed. Of course this needs special user
> actions, so it would not help those who are not aware of it. I think those
> can mainly be helped by highlighting/marking in the document-view.

Well.. as you yourself point out this basically requires the user to start
a "transaction" when he decides to look at files that he presumably know he
will not want to edit as a consequence, alternatively "tag" every file at the
moment he opens them as "closeable"... or was the idea to switch to a new
mainwindow? Then I guess the user will need to switch back to the
edit-mainwindow and open a file a second time if he decided to edit it...

It's overengineered and unrealistic. Just make a scalable UI instead. :P

// jens