[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Wed Nov 14 13:04:05 UTC 2007

> So we now have dockwidgets and ideal, I guess most/all of us
> agree that
> one of the two needs to go. Which one depends on the possibility of
> implementing most/all of the following items.

Agreed.  By the time ideal is done it will basically be dockwidgets++ anyway.

> - remove that stupid combobox :) Well we all know its just temporary,
>   but so far it seems there are 2 types of people, those that
> want tabs
>   and those that want scalability. I think we all agree that
> tabs don't
>   scale for more than a handful of files, you'll either get annoying
>   arrow-buttons or like in eclipse you'll just get a "..." tab that
>   opens up a document-list.

I like the way Visual Studio 2005 handles the situation of too many open documents to display:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=520397
IMO, this is much friendlier than the arrow buttons.  It's much easier to find what you are looking for.  This would be pretty easy by subclassing QTabBar (except on the Mac, where they do goofy things like centering tabs ;).

>   My idea to solve this dilemma is attached, a small list of 11 items
>   that shows the current file and the last/next 5 entries in the
>   history. (history is a ringbuffer right?)

When/how would this list be shown/hidden?

Kris Wong