[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Nov 14 09:56:31 UTC 2007

On 14.11.07 03:33:36, David Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 02:59:07 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > - UI for edit-history, this goes somewhat together with the above, the
> >   people that have 20+ files open need either quick-open or edit-history
> >   (or similar) to switch between files. Now kdev3 edit history has a
> >   real bad drawback: You can't see where you're jumping to. If you know
> >   you've edited file foo.cpp before doing edits in the current file,
> >   you'll start jumping backwards, but you need to know the code or check
> >   the titlebar to see when you found foo.cpp (if you edited multiple
> >   locations in your current file).
> >
> >   My idea to solve this dilemma is attached, a small list of 11 items
> >   that shows the current file and the last/next 5 entries in the
> >   history. (history is a ringbuffer right?)
> >   That should provide enough information to let you reasonably fast
> >   switch back through edit history and we can even help resolving
> >   multiple files with the same name problem by adding a url or project
> >   in a second line. Of course the widget needs to be usable with mouse
> >   and keyboard at the same time. I know adymo had a similar widget for
> >   showing the list of open files hacked up already...
>
> That looks nice, although, maybe it can be integrated with the already
> available document-list view? We could make the document-list somehow
> highlight the files you have last worked with, similar as I think it's done
> in kate.

Well, I find that highlighting in kate (2.5 at least) mostly unusable.
And the document view really shows all documents, without any edit
positions (note the line numbers). When switching through history I
think one usually don't cares about the "end" or "beginning", you just
want to go back a little, or forth and see where you end up. If you want
to jump directly to a file, a quick-open method is much faster than
running through edit history.

Today is National Existential Ennui Awareness Day.