Review of output view interface

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon May 28 02:00:40 UTC 2007

On 27.05.07 20:41:32, Matt Rogers wrote:
> I took some time and reviewed the output view interface.

Thanks for doing that.

> General Questions and comments:
>
> - Why are we still using K3Process?

See my recent mails on the commit list, last time I tested a
QProcess/Qt4 application wasn't debuggable in KDevelop3.4. I just
retried and now it works (wether QProcess/Qt4 changed or KProcess/KDE3
or it was something else earlier I don't know). I just asked whats
better to use on k-c-d, because at some point K3Process might be deleted
and brought back as KProcess derived from QProcess. Currently the only
real reason I see to use KProcess then is to be able to add command and
arguments using the << operator.

Unless I see a mail stating otherwise I'm going to port to QProcess
(including proclinemaker) tomorrow evening.

> - Outputviews should only be a display mechanism. We need to come up with
> something different to use to run external processes and capture the output.
>
> IOutputView:
>
> - Remove the reference to a new tab in the API docs for the queueCommand
> function. The view doesn't necessarily have to be created within a tab. Tabs
> are an implementation detail of the view plugin.
>
> - Remove queueCommand. See above.

I'll see if I can come up with an interface or class for that tomorrow.
Now its really too late ;)

In that case I guess IOutputView would just allow to create a view using
a model, a title and possibly and id. Right? Or do you want to have a
model for all outputviews together?

You will be surprised by a loud noise.