[KDev4] Improving mainwindow UI

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat May 26 20:35:47 UTC 2007

On 26.05.07 12:32:27, Kris Wong wrote:
> >> 1.
> >> Current KDev4 mainwindow doesn't allow to hide entire docking
> >> window easily -- we should close every 4 tab to remove bottom
> >> docwidget. OTW, in Kdev3.4, we could lower dock window group
> >> by clicking its tab only once.
> >> This is necessary to acquire wide editor window.
>
> > Thats not really right, to acquire a wide editor window (whoever needs
> > that, we have a policy of 76 character wide lines) you should buy a
> > larger monitor and support your countries economy with this ;)
>
> Are you saying it is not planned for the toolviews to be collapsible in kdev4?  That is not good...  I definitely don't like having the toolviews open when I am not using them.

No I'm not saying that. The problem with giving a way to lower another
toolview is: You have to do that via the factory or some unique name, as
basically one can have a few dozen toolviews, i.e. a few dozen
filemanagers, konsoles, outputviews, project managers and so on. The
hard part here is to find an API with which you may not be able to only
lower all of them, but maybe also individual ones (of the 12 konsole's).

I think Alex has an idea how to do this, but you know he's got some
tough time constraints...

You have a will that can be influenced by all with whom you come in contact.