Ongoing development of CodeComplete icons in menu.

Bogdan Mustiata bogdan.mustiata at gmail.com
Fri May 25 05:05:18 UTC 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007 17:51:50 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 24.05.07 16:39:54, Bogdan Mustiata wrote:

> > > You'll need to be a bit more specific about what you mean exactly.
> >
> > Mainly in version 3.4.x, if you edit some code and you use the
> > autocomplete feature (e.g. hitting control+space), a listbox appears with
> > various items for completion. The items don't contain an icon to identify
> > them (like Visual Studio, SlickEdit, etc.) for what they are (e.g.
> > method, variable, etc.).
>
> Differing methods and variables is rather easy:
>
> a) methods include the parameter list and parenthesis, while variables
> don't
> b) you have a yellowish tooltip at the right of the popup which tells
> you wether an item is a variable or method.

I agree, for methods and variables is rather easy. And how do you make the
difference between a slot and a method (let me guess, more text like
<constructor> or a blue tooltip?), a property (c#) and a member, and so on.

Even from this you can tell what is what:
int x;
int y();
<constructor> Z;
int Z::z();

 The idea is that in the end the actual pictogram is more distinct to the eye
and hence, easier to follow, than scanning over a number of lines.

> > In this sense, is there any work being done at the moment in order to
> > support icons?
>
> See my other reply, impossible in KDevelop3.4 due to limitations from
> the editor component.
>
> Andreas

I really hope that in 4.0 it is taken into account because right now I think
KDevelop _is the only_ IDE I know (SlickEdit, Eclipse, anjuta, visual studio)
_that doesn't_ support icons (beside vim if you can name it an IDE, but at
least vim it has an excuse: it's text mode).

Now, since KDE/KDevelop 3.x is in feature freeze it means that it will take at
least five months (KDE 4 final, release of KDevelop 4) until having something
working under KDE that might contain this very basic feature. And this
assuming the time schedule is respected.

This approach in my opinion is simply wrong.

BM