[VCS] VcsRevision

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 24 17:49:09 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 24.05.07 10:47:33, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> My concern is just that if the VCS doesn't support 'from,to' in log(),
>> you are stuck waiting on it to fetch 'everything'. Hmm... on second
>> thought, any objection to requiring it to be kind-of like showLog()? Use
>> a reasonable limit internally if the VCS does not support 'from,to' and
>> keep making limited calls until the 'to' revision is reached, then truncate.
>
> I don't care at the moment how the plugin achieves "from,to", thats an
> implementation detail.

Right, we can hide problems in the implementation.

> If that is slow because it fetches the whole
> history of a file, thats unfortunate but unavoidable.

Right. The only way this would happen with the above 'trick' is if the
VCS doesn't support /any/ limits... in which case the limit isn't doing
you any good anyway. :-)

> Also I think
> you're too concerned here, unless you've got a really crappy VCS system
> getting the full log of a certain file or dir shouldn't be that bad. As
> an example:
>

> And I consider that a really huge repository log.

Your example seems to be missing :-). Anyway I suppose I'm concerned
because someone previously made a case for the numeric limit, so I'm
just following that.

>> I was assuming you always provided all parameters, even if that means
>> passing the same arg twice. I guess we could also document that empty
>> dstPath means 'use srcPath'.
>
> Hmm, what about an overload that takes only 1 path but two revisions?
> Thats better than documenting a special case or having to provide 2
> paths that are the same, which is a special case that the user needs to
> know about...

Agreed, I'll add this.

--
Matthew
"Nobody expects the traditional Bourne shell!"