kdevelop in KDE4 status

Jonas Widarsson jonas at widarsson.com
Mon May 21 15:12:10 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > I never jumped to any of the hoops that techbase suggest (although they
> > keep first-time-kde4 users from screwing up their KDE 3 env) once I
> > started KDE4 hacking. All I have is a small script to set the needed env
> > vars (and the same list of env vars set in the run and make options in
> > KDev3) and another one that sources the first and then executes any
> > arguments given to it. So all I need to do to start a KDE4 app in my
> > KDE3 environment is
> >
> > execkde4 appname
>
> I would guess the "hoops" are more useful if you're trying to debug the
> desktop components (KDesktop, KWin, etc) :-). For the moment, I just
> keep a Konsole session running with KDE4 settings and simply do e.g.
> 'kwrite &'. So, as Andreas says, as long as you are running apps and not
> the full desktop there isn't really any need for nested X sessions.
>
> --
> Matthew

Okay. Valuable input to me. I am yet only doing some personal
programming. But I am actually considering joining (no promises, I am
buzy too) the KDE team to get some collaboration experience. Don't ask
me why I am saying this right here :) I know it's not exactly the
right place.

I had some KDE4 compiling errors (kdesupport and kdelibs) yesterday so
I haven't got it up yet. I was using kdesvn-build to get the most
shebang possible, but I get stuck on a "Q_UINT8 is not defined" all
the time. Maybe the QTDIR isn't set right, but all this should be
taken care of by kdesvn-build internally, right? I mean, it is
supposed to "just do it" (tm).
Or do you think I need to exit the build process, set the env-vars for
the shell and restart kdesvn-build?

Yeah, I know the question belongs on some other mailing list, but
well... We're already talking :)

/Jonas