kdevelop in KDE4 status

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 21 14:47:53 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> I never jumped to any of the hoops that techbase suggest (although they
> keep first-time-kde4 users from screwing up their KDE 3 env) once I
> started KDE4 hacking. All I have is a small script to set the needed env
> vars (and the same list of env vars set in the run and make options in
> KDev3) and another one that sources the first and then executes any
> arguments given to it. So all I need to do to start a KDE4 app in my
> KDE3 environment is
>
> execkde4 appname

I would guess the "hoops" are more useful if you're trying to debug the
desktop components (KDesktop, KWin, etc) :-). For the moment, I just
keep a Konsole session running with KDE4 settings and simply do e.g.
'kwrite &'. So, as Andreas says, as long as you are running apps and not
the full desktop there isn't really any need for nested X sessions.

--
Matthew
When in doubt, duct tape!