Final review of the VCS interfaces

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 17 01:34:45 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> I know the VCS interfaces somehow got out of hand very quickly, but now
> we've got some real code people can have a look at in SVN. Its under
> lib/plugins/vcs/interfaces and I'd like to ask everybody who has the
> time to have a look at the interfaces and helper classes and see if he
> finds things that he doesn't understand or that he doesn't think are
> correct. If you find something just answer to this mail.
>
> I hope everybody has the time until next weekend (that is the one after
> the upcoming ;) so we can let dukju and Robert start working on porting
> our plugins to find outstanding problems and get some sharing between
> the VCS widgets into a shared vcs lib.

Yeah, sorry I didn't get to this sooner. A couple notes from my end...

IBasicVC and IBrowsableVC should be pretty well settled though there is
a chance there are still typo-like errors (I don't know if anyone has
tried to compile these yet). In general however I think both Andreas and
I believe they are ready for use.

IDistributedVC is "unusable" and probably will be until someone actually
needs to implement a dVCS plugin.

I'm also not very comfortable with IBranchingVC; it has been largely
ignored ("should it have show* interfaces?" is an obvious question) and
I'm not sure tag() is usable in its current form (branch() should be OK
however).

In general, the doc needs a good overhaul. :-)

So in short, IBasicVC and IBrowsableVC should be 99% ready, IBranchingVC
is more debatable, and IDistributedVC is purely scratch at this point.
As Andreas said, we'd like to get at minimum IBasicVC and IBrowsableVC
ready for real use by May 26-ish.

--
Matthew
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" -- Monty Python