Basic questions ...

Sandro Andrade sandro.andrade at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:43:36 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the kdevelop design and coding decisions and I
would be grateful for hints on some basic points:

1) What is the goal of the "shell" in lib/shell ? Something related to
unixes shell interpreter ???
2) In kdevelop wiki we found:

"The idea is that platform code (currently in lib/) contains:

   - everything to create platform plugins
   - everything to create platform applications
   - commonly used/important plugins

"

what do you mean by "platform applications" ?

3) I suppose the code in /lib directory constitutes a kdevelop foundation
library (named kdevelop plataform), as something additional
to simply a graphical IDE application, am I right ?

4) In kdevelop wiki we found "To allow plugins to expose their functionality
via abstract interfaces and at the same time do not care about BC and do not
force other plugins to link with them". What do you mean by "BC" ? Binary
Compatibility ??

5) I suppose there are several "plugin domains" in kdevelop (eg. language
support plugin, editor tools plugins, etc). Each of them would have a
different interface, required do be implemented by new plugins. Is this
write ? What are the defined plugin domains ?

6) My kdevelop4 snapshot does not allow the creation of new projects. No
project template is exhibited in the new project dialog.
I noticed the following lines commented in main.cpp:

//     Core::setLanguageController( new LanguageController );
//     Core::setProjectController( new ProjectController );
//     Core::setBackgroundParser( new BackgroundParser );
//     Core::setEnvironment( new Environment );

How can I create a project in KDevelop4 ??

Thanks in advance,
Sandro Andrade